Hi,

I'm catching up an old thread.

On 2011/08/13, at 21:48, Philip Homburg wrote:

> In your letter dated Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:17:29 +0200 you wrote:
>> I still think there's an issue with the suggested blanket global
>> treatment of IPv4 RFC1918 addresses.
>>
>> Quote draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484-revise-04 "This issue can be fixed by changing
>> he
>> address scope of private IPv4 addresses to global."
>>
>> IMVHO I think it is highly likely that over time this assumption will not
>> hold
>> true:
>> think end game when IPv6 native only networks are widely deployed and CGN is
>> urned off.
>> At that time there's still probably going to be many (local) NAT boxes
>> that advertise an IPv4 default route and serve RFC1918 DHCP addresses to
>> clien
>> ts,
>> but cannot provide global connectivity.
>>
>> So whatever you assume about RFC1918 addresses has a good chance of being
>> inco
>> rrect
>> unless you can truly detect/confirm presence of global IPv4 connectivity via
>> AT.
>
> Ah, tricky.
>
> For destination addresses we have 3 possibilities: v4-only, v6-only, and
> dual-stack.
>
> Obviously, without global IPv4 connectivity, connecting to v4-only
> destinations
> is not going to work, no matter what you put in the policy table. Connecting
> to v6-only destinations doesn't involve v4, so that's not an issue either.
>
> For dual stack, connecting over v6 is preferred unless one v6 address is
> 6to4 or teredo. Given that you are unlikely to have 6to4 or teredo in
> that kind of environment, that's not going to be the local address.
>
> So there is one remaining corner case. If the remote address is 6to4 or
> teredo, then the policy table will prefer IPv4.
>
> I'm not sure it's worth making thing more complex just o handle this corner
> case.

Philip, thank you for great considerations.
I agree that the above corner case is the only situation where
the broken IPv4 connectivity does some harm.

I can imagine another case where IPv6 connection falling back to IPv4.
However, when a connection falls back, it takes tens of seconds,
so it is bad enough regardless of the existence of broken IPv4
connectivity. So, I think this is trivial.

Ray, do you think 3484-bis should treat this issue of RFC1918 address
scope ?