Marshall, and others,

I've now read the new draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-udpchecksums-01

This looks much more like what I expected, thanks.

I've got some concerns with the following para in Section 5:

      Whenever originating a UDP packet, an IPv6 node SHOULD compute a
                                                      ^^^^^^ - (1)
      UDP checksum over the packet and the pseudo-header, and, if that
      computation yields a result of zero, it must be changed to hex
      FFFF for placement in the UDP header.  IPv6 receivers SHOULD
                                                            ^^^^^^ - (1)
      discard UDP packets containing a zero checksum, and SHOULD log the
      error.  However, some protocols, such as lightweight tunneling
      protocols that use UDP as a tunnel encapsulation, MAY omit
      computing the UDP checksum of the encapsulating UDP header and set
      it to zero, subject to the constraints described in
      [I-D.ietf-6man-udpzero].  In cases where the encapsulating
      protocol uses a zero checksum for UDP, the receiver of packets
      sent to a port enabled to receive zero-checksum packets MUST NOT
                                                              ^^^^^^^^ (2)
      discard packets solely for having a UDP checksum of zero.  Note
      that these constraints apply only to encapsulating protocols that
      omit calculating the UDP checksum and set it to zero.  An
      encapsulating protocol can always choose to compute the UDP
      checksum, in which case, its behavior should be as specified
      originally.
      ^^^^^^^^^^ - (3)

(1), I think they MUST do this unless the receiver has been explicitly
enabled to process zero checksums for a particular port.

I think this sentence could be misleading, in that it can be quoted out of context easily, better to say MUST unless the update specified later is used. After all, the update proposed is

(2) I don't think this is a requirement you can easily place as an update
to RFC 2460.

(3) I think this means the method defined in RFC 2460.

In addition, I do think we should clearly recommend the use of checksums when there are not specific reasons for disabling them.

I also see one minor NiT:

- The abstract should mention RFC 2460 in words, but not cite it as a
reference.

---

I look forward to your thoughts on this,

best wishes,

Gorry