Hi, Eric,

Thanks so much for your comments. Please find my responses inline...

On 12/21/2011 01:56 PM, Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:
> My usual recommendations about this issue (and the related
> packet-too-big sent to a mcast group) are quite commonly accepted and
> are described in your I-D in 2.2: - RPF for all traffic - rate limit
> per node the ICMP generation - rate limit per router the ICMP traffic
> to a 100-1000 pps

Note that this limit might kill other stuff -- just blindly limiting
ICMPv6 traffic might e.g. introduce PMTUD blackholes.

> I would rather be reluctant to change RFC 2460/4443 even if there
> appears to currently have no valid use of option type 10xxxxxx
> because who knows in the future? And getting an error message is
> quite important.

The v6 specs carefully eliminate other potential smurf amplifiers. --
But this one was "left in". Getting an error from multiple destination
hosts doesn't look like a good idea. -- but I'll let others weigh in...

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks