On 2/29/2012 2:10 PM, Stig Venaas wrote:
[...]
I think the main reason OpenBSD and NetBSD don't support SSM is
Apple's IPR claim. Without SSM support, there is little reason to
support MLDv2.

I got some questions about this. See
http://www.ietf.org/ietf-ftp/IPR/APPLE-SSM.txt

See also e.g. http://marc.info/?l=snap-users&m=120819051424142

KAME did not add IGMPv3/MLDv2 to *BSD because of this. And as
a result Mac OS X did not have IGMPv3/MLDv2 until recently.
I'm not totally sure of the latter, but it is my understanding
the latest OS X has full support.

Stig

I'm a bit curious about the reason for the question. At least MLDv2
routers are supposed to support MLDv1 compatibility mode.

However, RFC 5790, on Lightweight IGMP/MLD makes it easy to support
SSM. I think there is open source support for 5790 somewhere.

What it does is basically removing exclude mode for a non-empty
source list. It is still a lot of work compared to IGMPv2/MLDv1.
Apart from hosts in general, I can imagine a lot of special purpose
devices that never needs SSM to only implement MLDv1.

Stig

Behcet