On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 09:54:36AM -0400, Simon Perreault wrote:
> On 2012-05-04 09:44, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
> >On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 08:29:11AM -0500, Rajiv Asati (rajiva) wrote:
> >>+1 for option 3 with hyphen.
> >>
> >>I like to be able to read the URI without having to put my glasses on.
> >
> >Interface names can contain other fancy characters and hence this one
> >will simply not work in the general case.
>
> The character just after the address is "special". We know it is
> special because it is just after the address. It can never be
> confused with the interface name itself. We could even choose
> something ridiculous, e.g. "x", as the special character and there
> would be no possibility of conflict.

My understanding is that URI formats place restrictions on the set of
allowed unquoted characters. Some vendors (e.g. Juniper) use interface
names that even contain slashes, e.g. fe-0/0/0. While replacing the %
separating the zone identifier (typically an interface name) solves
one problem, it does not solve the problems with fancy characters in
the zone identifier.

/js

Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany