>> Link-Local Unicast Addresses          1111 1110 10   1/1024
>> Site-Local Unicast Addresses          1111 1110 11   1/1024
> So they define the /10 as the link local *prefix*, within which any
> *addresses* have to fall into the /64.
> The rest of the /10 is unused but is still defined as link-local scope.

The specs may be reasonable, but they did cause confusion for addresses in
FE80::/10 but out of FE80::/64. Some implementations appear to treat these
addresses as global, others as local, and yet others as "unexpected." There may
be a way to use these addresses as an attack vectors against poor
implementations. Given that, I would suggest to be very specific:

* FE80::/64 is used for configuring link local addresses;
* FE80::/10 is reserved by the IETF.
* By default, implementations SHOULD discard packets received from addresses in
FE80::/10 outside of FE80::/64

-- Christian Huitema