See inline

On 2012-05-21 20:01, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> Dear Magnus;
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Magnus Westerlund
> <magnus.westerl...@ericsson.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know the WG last call has closed. But I reviewed it anyway and I have
>> found some nits and things which the WG chairs anyway will stumble on in
>> their ID checklist processing of the document. I also have some more
>> substantial comments on how this is written. I am sorry that I am late,
>> but I simple missed the WG last call.
>>
>> I do support this document going forward but I do think it needs to be
>> updated prior to submission to the AD.
>>
>> 1) Abstract contains bracketed references. I would suggest replacing
>> RFC2460[RFC2460] with the documents title and RFC number without brackets.
>>

> The brackets come from xml2rfc. This nit is will be done.
>
>> 2) Document header does not contain "Updates:RFC2460"
>
> OK, will be fixed.
>

>> 3) Section 1, " RFC 2460[RFC2460], " I think this should be "Internet
>> Protocol, Version 6 (IPv6) Specification [RFC2460],"
>>

> Isn't this just # 1 ? Or am I missing something?

Yes, I just wanted to point out the place where things are going wrong.

>> 4. Section 5
>>     "However, some protocols, such as lightweight tunneling
>>      protocols that use UDP as a tunnel encapsulation, MAY omit
>>      computing the UDP checksum of the encapsulating UDP header and set
>>      it to zero, subject to the constraints described in
>>      [I-D.ietf-6man-udpzero]."
>>
>> I am a bit worried about making [I-D.ietf-6man-udpzero] part of the
>> specification text. Especially something that I at least consider being
>> normative definition of constraints. Those I think should be part of
>> this document. I think the pointers earlier in the document is
>> sufficient to establish that part of the inclusion of the constraints in
>> this document are based on whats in our document.
>
> Here is the problem with
>>      [I-D.ietf-6man-udpzero]."
>
> The intended reference is to _the current document_. Remember, this
> text is part of
>
>  This item should be taken out of the bullet list and should be
>    modified as follows:
>
> where "this item" is [RFC2460] Section 8.1, 4th bullet
>
> What I was worried about was that someone would take our instructions
> literally, and create a mashup of 2560 and the current document, as
> that is what we tell them to do. Then, you don't want to just say "as
> in Section X", as that is ambiguous. Nor do you want
> to say "Section X, of this document," for the same reason. Ideally, if
> this document was RFC YYYY, you would say "Section X of RFC YYYY."
>
> However, can a document normatively reference itself ? That might
> excite Douglas Hofstadter, but it seems dubious to me.
>
> It does occur to me that this must have been dealt with previously -
> do you know of previous solutions ?

Yes, it can reference itself. What is commonly done in RTP Payload Media
Types registrations that we want to have the property to be copied and
thus reference itself. One inlcude [RFCXXXX] and then write an
RFC-editor note requesting to have the RFC-editor replace XXXX with the
number your document gets when being published.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund