Dave Thaler and I are exchanging e-mail about this very topic.

According to Dave, scope 3 was assigned for subnet-scoped multicast, to
accommodate multi-link subnets.  Then the IPng WG decided multi-link subnets is
a bad idea and Dave wrote RFC 4903.  One of the side-effects was to relabel
scope 3 as 'reserved'.

Now, however, me have multi-link subnets in the 6lowpan/RPL architecture,
picked up by ZigBee IP.  Might be time to relabel scope 3 back to subnet-scope.

- Ralph