Hi,

We've been running a NAT64/DNS64 setup at TREX Tampere Region Exchange for over a year now and I'd like to submit the following experience for your draft:

IPv6 Privacy Extensions are a big problem with stateless NAT64. A single device with priv exts enabled will use up several IPv4 addresses from the NAT64 pool. And since the IPv4 Internet is full of malware probing for vulnerabilities, the whole IPv4 address pool for the stateless NAT64 will periodically get random traffic from the Internet.

Even if the priv ext addresses have expired, the network will generate an ICMPv6 unreachable message which will travel through the NAT64 device and thus refresh timers for the IPv4 mapping. Some firewalls will also generate TCP RST messages for such probes to non-existent IPv6 addresses.

In fact, our worst experience has been with an Apple iPad which was left alone in an IPv6 only WLAN which was using our DNS64 service. The iPad thought that the WLAN was broken because it only got an IPv6 address and no DHCPv4 response. It had time to send some packets using IPv6 through the NAT64 which created the mapping. Then it reset its WLAN and tried to associate with the same SSID again. Every time it created a new privacy extension based IPv6 address and a new mapping in the stateless NAT64 device.

Within an hour, all the IPv4 addresses in the pool for our NAT64 were registered to this one device.

It would be my recommendation that there was either a Router Advertisement Flags Option for "do not use privacy extensions here" and that this was used in all setups that use DNS64 name servers, or that all such setups should use Managed Address Configuration aka DHCPv6 address configuration.

--
        Aleksi Suhonen, Researcher
        Department of Communications Engineering