On 25/07/2012, at 9:19 PM, Philipp Kern wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> am Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 07:11:53PM +1200 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
>> However, if it is not a misconfiguration, and you wish to redirect traffic
>> that has a better first hop, or is on-link but the host for whatever reason
>> does not know that, is that possible?  Should it be?
>
> I still wonder how the devices should figure out that there's a better first
> hop apart from network misdesigns[1].
>
> Are people really diverging from "one subnet per VLAN" with two routers
> connected to a segment and routing the traffic to the other router over that
> segment? (But that's possibly an ops question.)
>
> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern

This originally came in the context of VRRP v3. If you want to run some dynamic
routing protocol at the same time as VRRP on the same VLAN, you need another
link-local address to talk to your routing peers with, since there's no way for
the non-master routers to use the VRRP address.  So, you have two (or more)
link locals on the same VLAN.  Ideally only the VRRP one should be used for
sending RAs, of course.

I totally agree that RAs should take care of this, and in fact I think one way
to resolve the conundrum is to craft an RA to specifically tell the host it is
onlink with that exact destination, rather than a redirect, since as I read the
RA processing rules, it does not matter what source address the router uses in
that case.

Andrew