On 09/10/2012 13:56, Brian Haberman wrote:

One thing about MPLS is that it is not substantially run as a native layer 2 encapsulation. The result is that it is usually MPLSoE or similar (even when the LSP is being used to carry Ethernet). The data link thus usually provides some form of robustness such as CRC that protects the packet on the wire. So we are left with random hits on packets inside router buffers, or subverted/malicious
routers.

Agreed. As long as there is a robust L-2, the chance of in-transit errors is low. If MPLS is predominantly carried over Ethernet, I suspect the Ethernet CRC is providing sufficient/significant protection.

Hence MPLS seems to be considered safe at the moment.

It is unclear what will happen when/if MPLS is used as a native layer 2. Maybe,
however, MPLSoLambda will use its own FCS perhaps provided by GFP.

Agree as well.

Adrian

I agree with the above, but it is even more applicable to the UDP tunneling case, since the stack will normally be datalink(CRC)/IPv6/UDP/Payload, and IPv6oLambda is not
AFAICS on anyone's radar.

Stewart