Hello Alex,

On Nov 3, 2012, at 17:53 , Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petre...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Le 02/11/2012 20:59, Michael Richardson a écrit :
>>
>> Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petre...@gmail.com> wrote: AP> Well
>> yes, the prefix allocated to a vehicle when using NEMO is AP>
>> actually DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation RFC6276.  In that RFC the AP>
>> presence of HA is mandatory.
>>
>> AP> But some times HA may not be available, e.g. in remote areas or
>> AP> uncovered areas.  There, one would still want vehicles to AP>
>> inter-communicate.
>>
>> Yes, so if there is no uplink, then there is no addresses, so really,
>> it's not an address allocation problem, it's a routing problem.
>
> In a sense yes.
>
> But let me try to present this better.
>
> I think you agree that, in general, one wouldn't forbid two nearby
> vehicles to communicate to each other, even though infrastructure may
> not be available in that area.  If you differ on this aspect (like
> assuming pervasive WMAN everywhere) then please let me know.
>
> When there is no uplink (no WMAN) the negative aspect is that vehicles
> can not use MIP-NEMO nor NEMO-DHCP-PD to dynamically obtain prefixes.
> The positive aspect is that they can self form whatever but unique
> addresses they want, or assign whatever but routed addresses among them,
> without fear of disturbing infrastructure routing, and happily without
> tunnels either.

Sorry to jump into the discussion. In the case there is no uplink connectivity,
I would tend to say that vehicles would use the prefix that had been assigned
to them previously (when infrastructure was available and they had connectivity
to run NEMO/DHCPv6-PD). Or do you consider that the LV would never have the
capability to connect to the infrastructure?

Thank you,
Romain