I have requested the start of an IETF Last Call for this document.

Regards,
Brian

On 12/29/12 2:22 PM, Fernando Gont wrote:
Hi, Brian,

I've rev'ed this document according to our recent email exchange.

Should we progress this document now?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!
Fernando

On 12/29/2012 04:14 PM, internet-dra...@ietf.org wrote:

  This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Processing of IPv6 "atomic" fragments
        Author(s)       : Fernando Gont
        Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03.txt
        Pages           : 14
        Date            : 2012-12-29

Abstract:
    The IPv6 specification allows packets to contain a Fragment Header
    without the packet being actually fragmented into multiple pieces (we
    refer to these packets as "atomic fragments").  Such packets
    typically result from hosts that have received an ICMPv6 "Packet Too
    Big" error message that advertises a "Next-Hop MTU" smaller than 1280
    bytes, and are currently processed by some implementations as
    "fragmented traffic".  Thus, by forging ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" error
    messages an attacker can cause hosts to employ "atomic fragments",
    and then launch any fragmentation-based attacks against such traffic.
    This document discusses the generation of the aforementioned "atomic
    fragments", the corresponding security implications, and formally
    updates RFC 2460 and RFC 5722 such that fragmentation-based attack
    vectors against traffic employing "atomic fragments" are completely
    eliminated.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03

http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-atomic-fragments-03