Inline

Rémi Després wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I agree that this is a good time to clarify uses of u and g bits, and support
> the initiative Sheng and yourself has taken.
> Comments and suggestions inline.
>
> 2013-02-01 21:13, Fernando Gont <fg...@si6networks.com> :
>
>> Hi, Brian & Sheng,
>>
>> On 02/01/2013 05:13 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>>> We've put this together to address the general question of the
>>> u/g bits in Interface IDs. Discussion is requested.
>> Some comments:
>>

>> Section 1:
>>

>>>   The specification assumes that that the normal case is to transform
>>>   an Ethernet-style address into an IID, preserving the semantics of
>>>   two bits in particular:
Right. "Normal case." Not "exclusive case."
>>>   o  The "u" bit in an IEEE address is set to 0 to indicate universal
>>>      scope (implying uniqueness) or to 1 to indicate local scope
>>>      (without implying uniqueness).  In an IID this bit is inverted,
>>>      i.e., 1 for universal scope and 0 for local scope.  According to
>>>      [RFC5342], the reason for this was "to make it easier for network
>>>      operators to type in local-scope identifiers".
>>>   o  The "g" bit in an IEEE address is set to 1 to indicate group
>>>      addressing (link-layer multicast).  This value is supposed to be
>>>      preserved in an IID.
>> The second bullet is not tru: e.g. temp addresses do not do anything to
>> preserve the "g" bit (the "u" bit *is* forced to 0, though);
>
>> Section 2:
>>
>>>   NOTE IN DRAFT: Are there other examples we should include?  Are we
>>>   sure that no IID format defines semantics for u/g?
>> Not that I'm aware of. -- AFAIK, the u bit is just used to reduce the
>> probability of collisions if your IIDs are derived from global
>> identifiers (more on this below).
This is also my interpretation.
> It completely eliminates collisions for all devices that comply with IEEE
> specifications, and dramatically reduces it where some vendors have reused
> some IEEE MAC addresses.
> If two devices have the same IEEE MAC address on a link, they have a problem
> at the link layer, even before having one at the IP layer, and has to be
> fixed.
>
> In any case, and more important in my understanding, this doesn't change that
> any IID having u=1 can never conflict with IEEE-derived IIDs, be they
> duplicated or not. A clarification on this would IMHO be useful.

I have a problem with any assumption that u=1 => global uniqueness, or
u=1 => IEEE EUI64 with IEEE administered OUI.

Carefully reading RFC4291 I come up with the following:

Quote: "Modified EUI-64 format-based interface identifiers may have
universal
   scope when derived from a universal token (e.g., IEEE 802 48-bit MAC
   or IEEE EUI-64 identifiers [EUI64])"

Note the "may" and note the "e.g."

Quote: "EUI64 *format*"

Note the complete absence of text like "when u=1, the IID SHOULD/MUST be
formed from an IEEE EUI64, including a globally unique OUI portion
administered by the IEEE."

I therefore openly question any assumptions regarding the IEEE as being
defined as the sole and exclusive source of "universal tokens" in the
IPv6 addressing architecture.

If another standards body built a link technology based on EUI64
*format* identifiers, but with their own OUI administration, that should
never be a problem for IPv6, because RFC4291 only requires IID's to be
"unique within a subnet prefix." They are not required to be globally
unique across all link technologies. This is backed up by another quote
from RFC4291: "The details of forming interface identifiers are defined
in the appropriate "IPv6 over <link>" specification"

Even the IEEE definition of EUI64 in
http://standards.ieee.org/develop/regauth/tut/eui64.pdf states

Quote "When an EUI-64 is used within the context of an IEEE standard,
the standard shall be reviewed by the IEEE RAC for correctness and
clarity. When an EUI-64 is referenced within non-IEEE standards, there
shall not be any reference to IEEE unless approved by the IEEE RAC."

Was this coupling of standards ever reviewed by the IEEE?

Because it seems to me that the lack of universally clear handling of
the u=1 g=1 case in IETF documents would not fit with the existing IEEE
definition of EUI64, where u=1 g=1 is clearly a globally administered
multicast address, and is not available for any other use.

So my conclusion is that any coupling between IEEE and IETF standards
should be weak at most, and also limited to individual links.