A similar issue is likely to emerge with other mobile device - mobile
device communication,where there are a large number of mobile devices
circulating globally, but relatively few of them are present in any one
given area at any given time e.g. wearable computing, medical monitors,
RFID tags attached to small articles in transit, pet ID chips that warn
the owner if they stray......

IMHO it is a bad idea to define any sort of static mapping between L8
identifiers and L3/L2.

64 bits of IID are simply not going to be enough to encode adequate
semantics for all envisioned mobile applications.

SLAAC (using MAC as the universal seed) is almost certainly going to be
less likely to suffer collisions than any number of competing
industry-specific standards that overload the IID space.

IMHVO The industry should generate prefixes/addresses based on existing
standards, and then perform any dynamic VIN / Pet ID / L8 ID mapping via
some (industry-specific) protocol to identify the specific vehicle/ pet/
shirt as appropriate. There is perhaps a role here for the IETF to
assist in defining a L3<->L8 mapping protocol, especially for links with
rapidly changing members, and which includes an industry identifier and
an industry specific portion.

regards,
RayH