On 03/05/2013 08:37, Fred Baker (fred) wrote:
> On May 2, 2013, at 1:12 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpen...@gmail.com>
>  wrote:
>>>   Any such method MUST
>>>   NOT disturb nodes taking part in the stateless scenario just
>>>   described.  Thus, any node that sets flow label values according to a
>>>   stateful scheme MUST choose labels that conform to Section 3 of this
>>>   specification.  Further details are not discussed in this document.
>> That's the bit that -ospf-dst-flowlabel-routing does not conform to, as
>> far as I can see.
>
> It may be so. Can you point me to an implementation depending on 6437, either
> host, router, or load balancer?

No, but it's too recent - implementers have to look at the newest Node
Requirements
and then do their product cycle thing. For load balancers, there's an
Informational
draft wending its way through the system.

> Here's my frustration. The Flow label, if one goes into the musty dusty mists
> of time, does not do what it was originally designed to do, which is identify
> flows in the Nimrod routing model; to do that, it would need to be fungible
> in the network. It has been largely replaced by MPLS, which can stack its
> equivalent. As you know (you wrote half of them), there are a several RFCs
> that propose uses of the flow label, and those uses differ from each other.
> None of them obsolete the others, so they are all on the table.

I agree. That's why I've invested considerable effort myself.

> You are taking one in that series and pushing it as the "one true religion",
> and stating that it is therefore off limits to use the flow label for a
> specific well defined use case.

Well, there was a two year debate in 6man before we reached rough consensus.
That's all I know how to do. However, there is intentional wiggle room
in the RFC and maybe we can reconcile things; I'd like other peoples'
eyes on the that question. For compatibility with load balancing, all
we really need is pseudo-random bits - if the way of setting up
destination labels in your proposal could do that, it's probably fine.

> I call foul. If RFC 6437 is the only game in town, at least obsolete RFCs
> 1809 and 6294, and the section proposing a use case for it in 2460.

I thought we did obsolete those bits of 2460. iirc they were non-normative
anyway.
1809 is informational; I've never thought of it as needing to be obsoleted.
6294 is purely descriptive, so I don't see why it's an issue.

> And explain to me why it would be inappropriate for a host (virtual or
> physical) or a hypervisor to set a flow label and use it end to end for a
> specific use case in a data center?

I don't think it would, but this WG disliked the concept of defining
a local flow label domain and it was dropped from what became RFC 6437.
That's why I think the way out is to use the wiggle room mentioned
above. I hope we can.

   Brian