> >The lower bound is probably 53. There's a lowest common denominator>
>problem if you expect to be able to find an l4 header as part of your
> >forwarding decision
>
> Guys,
>
> 53 = not good.  Just because some people are re-using old hardware cards they
> had hanging around does not mean everyone has to go along with it.

>>Last time  I bought one of that particular arch boxes new was in 2011. I
>>don't have any in my current network but things don't age out of the internet
>>as quickly as I can change jobs, certainly not in enterprises either.

Sure.  I don't even want to get started on war stories of the kind of equipment
/ software protocols some of our folks have hanging around.  I totally know
that but I don't encourage them buying more of the same either!

I suppose what I am thinking is that since there are no "IETF Police", then the
only "teeth" there are in the standards is the ability to say "this is not
compliant".  That is not a trivial thing.  People pay attention to that.

If there is consensus that EH's are valuable - then, maybe the way forward
should be to:

1.  Decide how to get to the L4 header best.

2.  Maybe a recommendation on how much of the header should be read into ASIC.
Is that out of scope?

Nalini