Hi, Brian,

> Why wouldn't we add a sentence in -oversized-header-chain
> following this:
>
>> 6.  Updating RFC 2460
>>
>>    If an IPv6 packet is fragmented, the first fragment of that IPv6
>>    packet (i.e., the fragment having a Fragment Offset of 0) MUST
>>    contain the entire IPv6 header chain.
>

>  The entire IPv6 header including the header chain SHOULD NOT exceed
>  256 octets.
>
> (or whatever magic number we decide on).

I fully agree. -- For instance, at least the individual version of this
I-D included wording along those lines (at the time, the I-D was
required the entire header chain to be within the first 1280 bytes of a
packet).

> We might need some words to justify that, but they can be found
> in this thread.

How about something along the lines of:

* A large number of deployed systems reportedly drop packets that do not
contain the entire IPv6 header chain within the first XXX bytes.

* Since extension headers represent overhead to transmission of IPv6
payloads, the IPv6 header chain is expected to be small fraction of a
full-sized packet. With an IPv6 minimum MTU of 1280 bytes, a limit of
XXX bytes for the entire header chain already allows for YYY % of overhead.

(for the first bullet, we could add an informative reference to Warren
et al's I-D).

Thanks!

Best regards,
--