On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> I agree that C.M. Heard's ideas should be explored
> in more detail by the IETF.

Not just my suggestion, but other ideas as well:

- put UDP source and destination ports in a new IPv6 option that and
  add it along with a fragment header when fragmenting UDP packets
  (suggested on-list by Mark Andrews).

- generic transport encapsulation within UDP (suggested to me
  off-list by Mark Smith, based on a draft by Stuart Cheshire
  et. al.).

- SEAL (suggested on-list by Fred Templin)

> (I defer to the Powers That Be which list that might
> belong to -- TSV WG list might be one option, but
> it is not as likely to have IPv6 operators as well
> represented as the IPv6 list seems to have.)

That's really important -- it doesn't do anyone any good to have a
theoretical solution that operators are not willing to deploy.  We
all need to work together here.

Thanks,

Mike Heard