Hi,

In these discussions, it seems like we might be losing sight
of what problem or problems we are trying to address. The focus
of the non-SEAL proposals seems to be solely on making L4 port
information available in non-initial fragments. Important yes,
but there are other problems that need to be addressed.

For example, for the tiny fragment attack SEAL mandates that
the initial fragment be at least 256 bytes in length such that
a tiny fragment attack is not physically possible. Non initial
fragments are also physically constrained such that they cannot
begin before the 256th byte, so an overlapping fragment that
corrupts the transport layer headers is not possible. SEAL also
provides a path MTU probing facility to determine when the path
MTU is large enough to suspend the segmentation and reassembly
process. SEAL also works in the absence of ICMP Packet Too Big
messages. It also provides a tunnel-mode as well as transport-mode
of operation, and supports all combinations of IPv6/IPv4 tunneling
(6-in-6, 4-in-6, 6-in-4, 4-in-4). And, SEAL is also a universal
encapsulation framework that works with any existing transport
layer protocol that needs to use it.

So, there are lots of issues to be addressed - not just one.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.temp...@boeing.com