In message <2134f8430051b64f815c691a62d983180e1...@xch-blv-504.nw.nos.boeing.co
m>, "Templin, Fred L" writes:
> Hi Mark,

Fred, you are missing the point.  You don't need a single ominbus
draft.  One can have multiple drafts that address different points.

Your arguement is that it is not a omnibus draft.  It didn't set
out to be a omnibus draft.

Today legitimate IPv6 nodes send fragments no smaller than 1280
unless the first hop is being mapped to IPv4 at the sending node
and the IPv4 mtu is less than 1280.  1280 bytes contains the full
header chain unless someone is launching a attack.

Today firwalls drop fragments that don't have enough information
in them to work out if the non-initial fragment can pass without
passing all fragments.  The initial fragment is dropped because the
firewall operator knows it is pointless to send it despite there
being enough information.

If attackers sends tiny fragments they will continue to be dropped
with or without this option as the firewall doesn't have enough
information to make the decision in the initial fragment.  Legitimate
initial fragment however can now be let through as the firewall
knows that the other fragments will have the necessary information.
Other fragments can be let through with this option as the firewall
will pass the legitimate initial fragment.

Attackers now have to find the slot/pinhole to send attack traffic
through instead of just letting through all fragments.

Mark