Hi, Brian,

>>> Yes, but the IPv6 design really does require this.
>>
>> That's my point: is that a sensible requirement? For instance, for the
>> time being (Flow Label not used), there's no other way to identify flows
>> than to break this reuirement.
>
> Which is indeed why I worked hard to get RFC 6437 written. But changing
> this aspect of IPv6 design would be a *really* big discussion.

I'm fully in favor of RFC6437. My point is that host implementations
still not use or o weird stuff with the Flow Label -- hence it's not
dependable for anything. This means that in the short of near term
there's no better option than following the IPv6 header chain (not that
I like it but... that doesn't change the facts).

>>> Maybe we should
>>> change the IANA registry to include the experimental ones, but with
>>> a special tag? (Extension headers 253 and 254 are also tricky, because
>>> they are experimental values defined by a standards track RFC. Go figure!)
>>
>> I think we might be able to do both "1)" and "2)" above by adding a tag
>> along the lines of "not expected in the public Internet"? (with the
>> implication that "it's okay to filter").
>
> Something like that, yes. We'll try some words in the next version.

Great.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--