On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Ole Troan wrote:

In working group last call:
 draft-ietf-6man-oversized-header-chain-04    (ending August 27th)

I have read this document and found no problem with it, and I support its progression.

 draft-ietf-6man-stable-privacy-addresses-12 (ending September 2nd)

NIT:

F():
          A pseudorandom function (PRF) that is not computable from the
          outside (without knowledge of the secret key), which should
          produce an output of at least 64 bits.The PRF could be
          implemented as a cryptographic hash of the concatenation of
          each of the function parameters.

Missing space in the middle line.

secret_key:
          A secret key that is not known by the attacker.  The secret
          key MUST be initialized at operating system installation time
          to a pseudo-random number (see [RFC4086] for randomness
          requirements for security).  An implementation MAY provide the
          means for the the system administrator to change or display
          the secret key.

I think the text here should be that i MUST be initialized when the functionality is enabled (or equivalent). I haven't re-installed my operating system for 8 years, I have just upgraded it. Also, this functionality might be a later add-on to an existing version of the operating system, and the functionality might be an add-on to the connection manager, completely independent of the operating system.

There are numerous references to DAD. Isn't DAD attacks handled in other documents that can be referenced, does this document really need to outline this behaviour, perhaps even in conflict with other documents? I don't remember where I read about this though, perhaps someone else knows? It was discussed in SAVI anyway.

I think it would be good to reference SAVI-WG documents on first-hop security instead of writing new text on the subject. People seem to like SEND, but I see send as hard to deploy in most scenarios because one entity doesn't control both router and device. I prefer the network protecting using filtering instead of trying to cryptographically assure that the RAs seen is from the router.

http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/savi/ RFC 6620 would be one document to reference in this case.

Network_ID mentions SSID. What if I have an ethernet Interface and I move my computer around, should it identify a new set of /64 network address and/or gateway MAC address as a new network as well? I think some text on this would be good guidance for implementors.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se