Fred,

On 09/10/2013 04:28, Templin, Fred L wrote:
> When Wireshark encounters a header type 253 or 254, it assumes it is
> an unknown extension header of length 8 bytes, then skips ahead and
> attempts to parse anything that follows as additional headers.

They must have just made that up; there's no justification for it.
It could be an unknown extension header of unknown length, or it
could be an unknown payload of unknown length. In real life
I'd expect firewalls to default-drop such packets.

We'll note this issue in the Security Considerations.

    Brian