On 10/11/2013 12:36 PM, Templin, Fred L wrote:
>> FWIW, my idea of the I-D is that it says "look, if you don't put all
>> this info into the first fragment, it's extremely likely that your
>> packets will be dropped". That doesn't mean that a middle-box may want
>> to look further. But looking further might imply
>> reassemble-inspect-and-refragment... or even reassemble the TCP stream
>> (e.g. think about a SSL/TCP-based VPN...)
>
> We definitely don't want that. That is why we would prefer for
> the entire header chain (starting from the outermost IP header
> up to and including the headers inserted by the original host)
> to fit within the first fragment even if there are multiple
> encapsulations on the path.

The problem is that if you have multiple encapsulations, you can always
hit the MTU limit and fail to comply with this requirement.

That's why this I-D says what it says.

P.S.: Reegarding enforcing a limit on the length of the header chain, I
must say I symphatize with that (for instance, check the last individual
version of this I-D, and you'll find exactly that). But the wg didn't
want that in -- and I did raise the issue a few times. So what we have
is what the 6man wg had consensus on.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--