On 06/09/17 06:05, Christian Nilsson wrote:
What happens here is that you are booting a bzImage, the cpio handling is only done when the bzImage type is booted and is not when the initrd is loaded. In EFI mode everything goes via the EFI image type instead, which has no such handling.
(enabling bzImage support in EFI mode is not possible)

I have requested support for this as well, but there are some issues that as of yet does not have any clear solution.

Maybe Michael can give us an update on this.

My solution sketch for this is to have iPXE's virtual filesystem (the one exposed to the kernel via EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM_PROTOCOL) have the ability to provide CPIO-wrapped versions of any file. The main outstanding question is just what naming scheme to use. There are several options:

- A virtual directory, allowing for e.g. initrd=cpio/test.sh

- A hidden virtual directory, allowing for e.g. initrd=.cpio/test.sh

- Magic extensions, allowing for e.g. initrd=test.sh.cpio

Michael