Peter Jernakoff wrote:
> DX update from northern Delaware:

> 07-Apr-07 // 1959 local // 1460 khz. // WHIC // 5 kw // Rochester, NY //
> EWTN promotion then “[unintelligible] Catholic devotion on 1460 AM, WHIC,
> Rochester.” // New. A 253 mile catch.
>
> MP3 clip available here:
> http://www.21centimeter.com/21centimeter/Recordings/1460-khz_1959-Local_4-07-07_WHIC_Rochester_NY.mp3

A note on this one: WHIC lost its three-tower directional array on
Winton Road in Rochester last fall.

They've been operating since then on a temporary diplex at the WROC-950
site a couple of miles away, with what I believe to be 4.5 kW day ND,
750 watts night ND. The 750-watt night rig would have been what you
heard in Delaware, and it's arguable whether or not that's a better
catch than their 5 kW licensed night power would have been; there's a
pretty deep null in their licensed night pattern in your direction.

Construction is just getting started on a new three-tower site for WHIC,
off Commerce Drive in Henrietta, about 3 miles SW of the old site. I was
over there yesterday to see what's up, and they've cleared probably four
or five acres of land and put a road in. No sign of a ground system,
transmitter building or tower steel yet.

When it's all done, WHIC will be 3.7 kW ND-D, 5 kW DA-N, with a pretty
close replication of the old night pattern from Winton Road (but
significantly more distant from my QTH, which pleases me immensely; the
old 1460 was my closest local AM at just over a mile.)

It's not often you see a new AM DA go up, so I'll be following this one
closely over the spring and summer.