--- Konnie Rychalsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Paul et al,
> That didn't make any sense... if the point was a PC is cheap enough
> obtain today... uh, may I mention... a cassette player is even
> cheaper -
> about $5 used, $19 new and yes they are available.  Anyone who is a
> QSL
> managaer, in my opinion, should be able to handle ALL formats.  In my
>
> opinion, QSLs shall be signed by the CE or station manager... the qsl
>
> 'mangler' (volunteer or intern)rather should do ALL the prep work.
> But then
> qagain, who asked me?  Technology has definately become "the"
> hindrance -
> making a bunch of old dxers grumpy old geezers. Here we go... someone
> opened
> the bag... moi?

Yes, the above does sound rather grumpy to me. And it is definitely NOT
reflective of today's reality. Stations owe DX'ers nothing, and some of
our number have justifiably earned us that if the stations ever owed us
anything in the first place.

We are asking the favor of station personnel who are understaffed and
overworked. Casettes are extremely yesterday and many stations don't
have them. I don't care if it's a CE or a GM or a DJ or a QSL Manager
-- if we want QSL's we have to make it easy for them which means doing
it their way. The cost of a used casette player isn't even relevant.
And if someone like Les is going to volunteer his time to do us a favor
then he is entitled to ask for anything within reason to make his job
easier.

My original point was simply that IF one considers QSL's very important
( I don't anymore ) then one has to adapt in order to keep getting
them, and many of the arguments which were valid a few years ago no
longer are so.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]