Richard Wood was probably best known as a linguist who shared his knowledge
of how to identify languages with DX'ers. His original home was
Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, but as a traveling university professor of
languages, he taught above the Arctic Circle in Norway, in the Royal Kingdom of
Saudi Arabia, and, I think, several other overseas locations, at the University
of Indiana, at a state university in New Hampshire, at a small private
university on Long Island, and at Southeast Missouri State University, in Cape
Girardeau, Mo., to name a few as he traveled the world, locating for a year or
two at the sites he chose.
    He was intensely active on shortwave, AM, FM, and TV DX, and attended many
radio club conventions in the '60s, '70s and '80s.
    When he was at SEMo, less than 100 miles from where I lived for 30 years in
Mt. Vernon, Ill., he and I exchanged visits, and he was one of very few DX'ers
my wife remembers with positive thoughts. My most successful FM DX was done on
a Heathkit tuner (I forget the model number) that I had purchased from Richard.
    Richard was not afraid to express his opinions about DX issues, and I
understood that some DX'ers were uncomfortable about that, but I had nothing
but good vibes from my relationship with him. Of the second wave of DX'ers who
became adults after World War II, Richard Wood was one of the true giants.