Dennis,

     I'm happy that your stable of Ultralights logged  JOUB-774 at Grayland,
and also a couple of others using your external  antenna.

     Ultralight TP DXing is kind of an ultimate  challenge, and even at
Grayland (or other places on the coast), you need to have  propagation and luck
on
your side, I think.  Being near the beach certainly  improves your chances,
but like we found out last year, you need to work for  each TP contact with
these radios.  They put the thrill back into receiving  the Japanese
powerhouses.

     Guy Atkins and I recently had a great lunch  together, discussing
Ultralight DXpeditions, among other things. When you  don't need to do anything
more
than show up the beach with a few hand  radios while in your car, the entire
experience may be quite  different.  You won't log as much TP DX, but the
receptions will be  far more exciting.  I guess it all depends on your
attitude,
and whether  you accept the greater challenge for greater rewards in excitement.

                       73,  Gary