From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Scott Fybush
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 12:53 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] WINS and CFRB (was CBU...)

Patrick Martin wrote:
> Saul,
>
> Is CFRB that tightly directional? Wow. How well does CFRB cover the
> metro area?  I have heard & QSL'd them here from some years back, but
> CFRB is not common these days.

CFRB and WINS entered into a mutual interference agreement in the
mid-90s that actually allowed both stations to loosen their patterns a
bit. Both built new directional arrays at their existing sites, and each
agreed to accept a little more incoming interference from the other.
(WINS also bought and shut down the 1010 in Little Rock, and paid for
WRNJ 1000 Hackettstown NJ to move to 1510, to clear the way for its
signal expansion.)

CFRB is located in Mississauga, west of Toronto along the Lake Ontario
shore, with a pattern that aims mostly east over the city, though with
enough daytime spill to the south that it's the third best daytime
Toronto AM for me here in Rochester. (CHWO 740 and CJBC 860 are the
best, of course.) It's actually a very good signal over most of metro
Toronto, even if Saul can null it!

WINS aims mostly east from its site in Lyndhurst, NJ, due west of
midtown Manhattan and just south of Giants Stadium. Even by day, it has
a deep null toward CFRB; I drive through it on my way from my cousin's
house in Suffern NY (30 miles NW of NYC) to Manhattan all the time.