I got an email from Nashville, TN area resident (and WTDFA DX'er Doug
Smith).  He works at a TV station and normally at night, he loses WPLN
just five miles up the road to my local WXNT.  Last night he heard WPLN
at least another ten miles out - where he has never heard them before.
So it does seem like they have some sort of an issue.  I doubt that they
are purposefully cheating but it's obvious that something is going on
with them.

Once again, if you need them, try for them before they fix their issue.

73,
Dave Hascall
Indianapolis, IN

ORIGINAL
MSG---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------

>>I've noticed that since I logged WPLN 1430 Madison, TN for the first
time (over the weekend) that I have heard it a few times since then.
They are authorized 15 Kw days and  1 Kw nights.  They are VERY strong
at night and at times they bury local WXNT.  If I move the GE ULR just a
bit top decrease the local's signal, they sound like a local.  If you
don't have them in your log, they seem very strong about 0100 EDT.

>>Are they "cheatin'"?  I dunno but they seem very strong for an
apparent 1Kw station matched up against a local 5Kw station.  I
mentioned in my report to John J. Reiger, who runs DX MidAmerica that
"must be on day rig."  John stated that he has been asked a few times to
remove wording like that.  That's funny.

>>Does anyone know if they have recently received a power boost?

>>73,
Dave Hascall
Indianapolis IN
GE 7-1637A ULR
Two Sony cassette Walkman ULR type rx
Sony SRF-59 and other vintage portable rx.