In my 1971 edition of Vane Jones' North American Radio-TV Station Guide
there were 31 stations licensed on 88.1 with a transmitter power of 10
watts or less. Only one was listed as being stereo capable. 88.1 to 91.9
was, with very few exceptions, reserved exclusively for "educational"
stations in the US. My recollection is that many of the stations that
were licensed for 10 watts actually ran less power. I know that one "10
watt" station at a small college in my area actually ran 1 watt into a
single horizontal bay at about 5 feet HAAT. I believe that type
acceptance could be waived in lieu of an FCC inspection for the low
power educational stations. I remember some publicity about the fact
that both the transmitter and the antenna were built from scratch by the
students.

Patrick Griffith, CBT CBNT CRO
Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/