Hi Kevin,

     I'm very happy that you and Patrick like your  ICF-S5W's, and hope that
you both will hear lots of fun DX with them.  Both  were fully aligned for top
sensitivity, and if you can tolerate the congenital  image reception issue,
they are a blast to use on the open frequencies.

     As an AM-DX sensitivity fanatic, the S5W was my  favorite portable for
many years, with its USA map on the back panel, the drum  dial rotation system
for ten different areas, and the green/red LED tuning  lights.

     The new "Amidon Prison Radio" combines the  SRF-39FP''s sensitive IC
chip with a frequency-optimized large loopstick,  however, to push the AM-DX
sensitivity into a monstrous level.  It is  far superior to the
vintage-loopstick
transplant models in sensitivity, and to  all classic AM-DX portables.  At
only about $50 in parts (and not requiring  an LCR meter for construction), I'm
hopeful that many tinkerers will feel  motivated to build one of these DX
dynamos, after the article is posted.

   73,  Gary

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.