John, I'm very envious of you!  I haven't had a chance to go through my Perseus
files, but I was there live between 11:45 and 12:15 and I didn't think things
were nearly as good as yesterday, where I counted  19 audios between 531 and
1323.  Strongest of the lot was Radio New Zealand on 756 with an 8 signal, but
there were more Aussies to be heard for sure than Kiwi stations.  Fiji was also
in strong on 639.  I suspect your Olympic mountain argument putting us in the
"propagation shadow" may very well be a valid one.  I'm still waiting for Colin
to deliver my notch for 1070 so that I can use the proper NZ wire which I'm
unable to use so far due to overloading and 1070 images all over the place.
Colin, if you read this, PLEASE!!!  Sure sounds like you had a LOT of fun,
though, John....Lucky you!!!!  By the way, loved
your story about the Hoh Rain Forest....know it well driving down to Grayland
from Port Angeles!  ........Walt Salmaniw, Victoria

At 10:08 PM 7/10/2008, you wrote:
>Gosh!
>
>The very best morning of Kiwi DX was in March of 1990 when Linda and I were
>camped in our tiny trailer at a seaside campsite in the Hoh Rain Forest, that
>soggy temperate rainforest that is trapped between the Pacific Ocean and the
>massive Olympic Mountains of far NW Washington State. The area gets almost 10
>meters a year of rain and it rained HARD, constantly from our early AM
>arrival. By night fall, we had decided to retreat to the eastern side of the
>mountains where it was dry, leaving early in the morning. It was so wet that
>the popular campground was virtually empty and I decided I couldn't possibly
>put out a serious antenna and DX at dawn.  I decided to hand 15 meters of wire
>in the tree that we were camped under so that I could listen to Radio
>Australia at dawn on shortwave, should I awake at my usual pre-dawn hour. I
>did wake up about an hour before dawn and turned on 9580. After a few minutes,
>I got curious as to whether there might be at least one or two Big Guns o!
 n MW, so I tuned down there, thank God! It was wall-to-wall DUs and almost all
of them were Kiwis. The few Aussies were about what you might expect to hear on
less than 50 feet of wire. Most of the Kiwis were at very listenable levels and
I was familiar enough with the DU dial, even in those days to play the parallel
game to the hilt. Almost twenty years later, slightly more than 50 percent of
my Kiwi QSLs came from that morning.... Something like 22 or so (my records are
at home.)