Here on Orcas Island, Nov. 3 was a good but not great morning and things seemed to be returning more to late season form: the Chinese were more prominent than on the past several mornings and the JJs were down a bit. This AM, the upper band had only 7 audios 90 minutes prior to dawn, but dawn brought up quite a few more (mostly thresholds.) There were 21 audios above 1100.

The star of the morning was Beijing Public Radio on 1026, at a readable level for one of the few times this fall.

IBOC INTEREFERENCE WITH TP DXing:

With my Wellbrook array pointed NW into Canada and up the Strait of Georgia to East Asia, you'd think that I should have the least IBOC interference with TPs of anyone.... Patrick has a potential 180 degrees of azimuth that could generate IBOC signals, I only have 90 degrees, thanks to being on the US-Canadian border. Still, when I returned to the dials this spring, after being in Oklahoma for 6 months, I noticed that there were a few more IBOC-bothered TP channels than the previous Fall. Over the now almost 6 months that I have been here, the TP channels have gotten even more blighted with IBOC. Most of it seems to appear near or after actual dawn which implies that it is coming from stations here in the US Northwest. So far, there are only two channels on which I cannot solve the problem by going to one or the other sideband: 909 and 999. In those two cases, the IBOC is on the low side and there is a strong regional station on the high side. (GRRRRRRRGH!)

I finally went through this morning as the band was fading and made a list of the TP channels with serious IBOC QRM:
531
540
576
666
720
864
909
999
1152
1233
1242
1305
1332 (really bad)
1350
1395
1440
1503
1530 (really bad after dawn)
1575
1665

I'd sure be interested in what other NW DXers are experiencing on the 9-kHz channels.....

I'll tell you one thing, if IBOC is going to slowly fade away, it hasn't started yet up here!!!

John B.
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, Slider E100
Antennas: Wellbrook Phased Array NW
Two 70' x 100' Conti Super Loops, West and Northwest _______________________________________________