By air, i was probably 20 to 25 miles from my closest unheard station day or
night.

Now, my closest unheard by night was barely 15 miles..... the station was
5KW, but so directional on a semi high frequency, you could be driving down
the highway into town, and see their blinking 3 towers up on the "hill" and
not get a listenable signal.

Paul Walker
www.onairdj.com