I share the heartbreak expressed so eloquently here. I never met John, but he
did stand out from the pack in many respects - you could tell from the quality
of his posts.

I saved his article from - I think - Monitoring Times, where he wrote about his
DX from and visit to Easter Island. A remarkable story. My favourite part was
not about the DX but the wild horses checking him out, scant inches away from
the vehicle window. But, of course, he reported on the wonderful DX he had
there, and how different things came in depending on the hour. Inspiring,
indeed, for someone like me who lacks relative experience. Indeed, one reason I
clipped John's article is because, one day, I can see making a trip similar to
that. That article is perhaps the only documentation of DXing from that
isolated spot, and so it will stay in my 'DXpeditions' file. If I ever do make
it to Easter Island, John will be in my thoughts.

Reading the posts here tonight, I can tell he had an accomplished life, and
there were many who respected and loved him, and will miss him. My thoughts are
with his family and his many close friends.

Saul