Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 21:23:51 -0700
From: Colin Newell <c...@islandnet.com>
        <irca@hard-core-dx.com>
Subject: [IRCA] Semi-OT - testing Next Gen WiFi radio

Received a sample radio to test for review on DXer.ca
As much as I eschew modern technology - and fail to see the logic of
paying for radio I currently get for free - the idea of having
a radio that does WiFi and AM-FM is appealing -- this sample doesn't but
the hybrid sets are in development.

I understand from the engineering team that this radio (like many
others; the GRACE, etc...) cost about 30 - 40$ to manufacture...

Begs the question - why the heck are single function WiFi radios
retailing
for 129 to $199 in Canada?

Like Sirius Satellite radio (and XM) one ultimately pays for the
privilege
of getting a box that receives an ever changing mosaic of "broadcasts"

http://tinyurl.com/37zyov6 Testing the Taiwanese made Joy-Bien Wi-Fi
radio - will retail for around $79 - way lower than other units locally

--
Colin Newell is the editor and creator of Coffeecrew.com and
BobHarris.com