So I guess I'm not the only one with a Hallicrafters S-53A sitting around the
house...

https://picasaweb.google.com/PianoPlayer88Key/RadioPicsStuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCIer0efojpPg8AE#5606866639550406994

Last time I turned it on (which was several years ago - you can probably tell
from the spiderwebs in the photo) I was only able to get a few local MW
stations at midday - probably 600 (5kW @ 8 mi), 760 (5kW @ 7 mi), 910 (5kW at 9
mi), 1130 (10kW @ 6 mi), 1170 (50kW @ 6 mi) and 1360 (5kW @ 8 mi).  It hasn't
had any antenna hooked up for quite some time, so I don't really know what its
performance is supposed to be like.  Anyone know about this model?
As I said, it hasn't been operated in quite a while, and probably isn't even
plugged in at the moment.

Also, question....  how does not having a ferrite bar antenna make the S-38
better?  I have a couple cheapo radios with ferrite bar antennas (Panasonic
RQ-SW44V and Ultronics Sports radio), and even though they have trouble picking
up a 50kW from 111 miles away on 1070 across good ground (some of which is
saltwater), they run circles around the Hallicrafters radio pictured, as is.
Stations which are armchair copy, almost static free on the small radios were
barely detectable, if even readable at all, on the S-53A last time I turned it
on.  In turn, to compare radios that more of you are likely familiar with, the
Tecsun PL-606 and Sony SRF-59 mop the floor with the aforementioned Panasonic &
Ultronics on sensitivity.
Is there something about not having an internal antenna that makes a radio
perform better when hooked up to an external antenna?  (Also how would its
sensitivity compare with a portable with a ferrite bar (Sangean PR-D5, Tecsun
PL-606, Sony SRF-59, GE Superradio, etc) when it has an equivalent antenna
hooked up?)