WIOI, 1010, New Boston (Portsmouth) OH back on today with its usual signal &
format.  I have wondered about this one before because there were times,
several years back, when I was spending part of my week in Oak Hill, that it
had a very weak signal there.  I have suspected that, as some automated
"repeater" type stations sometimes have computer foul-ups that cause them to
keep their day power turned on late, others may have similar screw-ups that do
not restore full day power.  WIOI may be such a station.  I don't know how any
station survives in Portsmouth.  The city is blanketed by the
Huntington/Ashland FMs, and its population continues to fall.  To think, it
once had an NFL franchise, the Portsmouth Lions.  I guess they were first out
of town, leaving for Detroit in 1934.

BTW, WMPO, 1390, Middleport-Pomeroy, OH, has, like WATH, 970, Athens, a
flea-powered FM twin which, like WATH's, operates on 97.1.  Both stations are
now mentioning their FM twins in their TOH and other IDs.

73
David