However, if this was your location or anywhere near this turnout, the
elevation is nowhere near 400 feet above sea level. If you switch to
Terrain View in Google Maps, you can see that this stretch of Highway 101
is just above the 200 foot line. The fact that you were hearing such good
DX at half the altitude you thought you were at is a very encouraging.

While doing some "virtual sightseeing" in Google Maps near Cape Perpetua, I
accidentally dropped the little Street View man (icon) on this spot:
http://goo.gl/maps/t1Hx   Bingo! This is the end of National Forest Road
#5553, which is a scenic viewpoint from the 800 foot level !!   There's a
nice parking lot here (no cars whizzing by on the highway), and even
restrooms across from the lot. I note at least one picnic table near the
parking lot, overlooking the Pacific. That would be a great spot to DX
from, perhaps using the Perseus as a "spotting scope" for the ULR rig.  (Of
course, it doesn't seem you had any trouble spotting the low power Kiwis
even from Highway 101's altitude  :^)

In all the years my family has vacationed in nearby Yachats, I can't
believe I never drove up the Forest Service Rd. #5553! This looks to be a
superb spot for DXing. There's even room for a temporary Flag, EWE, or
other modest loop antenna in the grassy area across from the parking lot.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA