John, another thing you bring to the table is PERSPECTIVE. You have a few years on me but not so many that I don't appreciate what your Macro view can mean. Appropriately, your last line says it all: "Carry on, fellow DX'ers, and keep the hobby going!"

Lee Freshwater's desire to spend some time in reinvention is a healthy one, methinks. I've been watching his long-time requests for help that seemingly have gone unanswered. At the same time, some of us see the multiple postings on these reflectors from folks who don't belong to either club but are obviously interested in DX activities. So we know there's energy out there.

Having said all that, many of us heed your advice and don't intend to let a dwindling interest in DX-ing get away from us. On Saturday night 8/3 at the convention, Skip Dabelstein will lead what I hope will be a spirited and POSITIVE discussion on the future of the clubs and what we can do to provide useful services, attract new members and reinvigorate existing membership.

We do not intend to let this discussion stray all over 'yesterday' but instead focus on today and tomorrow. Many believe we're at a watershed in both clubs. Fewer members are carrying more of the load. Club Board members (who also have a 'life') are accused of being indifferent...but we sometimes forget they're paid their dues over the years. Fewer folks are reading the on-line offerings when nothing new is offered. That happens because members (who of course also have a 'life') don't make sharing a priority...

A primary purpose of this year's convention is to audit and hopefully renew an interest in all this. It'll be good to hear what people say about expectations. It may well be that a good number of folks throw up their hands at it all...but as my friend Jim Wulliman would say to the rest of us; "Don't get mad...get involved!" I hope we can unearth a way to turn up involvement and tap the perceived potential energy.

A complete report will be posted following the discussions for those of you interested but unable to make the convention. Kudos to those of you who will be there and will hopefully 'get involved.'

Mark Durenberger
On the Road

-----Original Message----- From: John Callarman

Anthony, I appreciate your comments. What has happened in my case is not that I've lost my love for DX, it's simply that other time-consuming hobbies have moved up the list of how I enjoy spending my time.

During the first six years that I moved back to Texas, I enjoyed the challenge of identifying the stations that would from time to time give me enough clues for a positive ID and a decent tape on a crowded frequency. I could still enjoy the challenge, but there are things that I now enjoy more. I'm so far behind on keyboarding genealogical and family history information I've collected into the data base I could spend 24/7 for months on that chore alone.

The lure of DX remains, but the temptation is currently being resisted.

Carry on, fellow DX'ers, and keep the hobby going!