Hello All,

An impromptu weekend run to Grayland kicked off with a bang this morning with
Japanese, Korean and Chinese stations all pounding in for a wild 4 hour
session. A new 17" FSL antenna was set up near the picnic table at the end of
Grayland Beach road, and it managed to track down at least 15 Asians which
pegged the PL-380's S/N readout.

The deserted beach was clear and cold at my 1115 UTC (0315 local) start time,
but the big gun Japanese and Koreans on 594, 747, 972, 1134 and 1566 had
already reached S9 levels an hour before inside my Grayland Motel Room 11 ($65
a night, with absolutely no frills). Hurrying to the cold beach I brought along
the 30" loopstick ICF-2010 spotting receiver, 12" Longwave FSL and the new 17"
DXpedition FSL-- all of them very large items that could never be accommodated
in my Toyota Corolla during previous "family vacations." Despite Grayland's
lack of any ocean cliff, the fanatical gear was out for bear.

Powerful Asian signals were all over the band in total darkness at 1115 UTC,
three full hours before sunrise. Temporarily ignoring the Japanese and Korean
big guns I went after some second-tier Asians like 603-HLSA, 657-Pyongyang,
1044-CRI and 1323-CRI, all of which pounded in with serious strength. Wild S9
snarls were on 1044 (CRI and KBS) and 1134 (JOQR and KBS), while the multiple
1035-CNR1 stations sounded like an echo chamber. Almost all the usual Asian big
guns were at blowtorch levels, including the high band TP's on 1566 and 1575.
As the wild session continued a sunrise enhancement boost around 1430 brought
up the strength of Chinese middle and high band stations, with 936-Anhui,
981-CNR1, 1377-CNR1 and 1593-CNR1 all getting a serious boost. The Japanese
second-tier stations like 954-JOKR also tapped into the boost, while 603-China
finally managed to show up weakly under an S9+ HLSA. The CRI stations on the
middle and high band were at awesome levels after the sunrise enhancement
boost, and quickly took over contested frequencies like 1044. The big gun
Japanese and Korean stations were still going strong in bright daylight after
1600, but I was not. My MP3 recorder was maxed out, and four hours in the 41
degree cold and wind had taken its toll. After returning to Room 11 at 1615 I
checked 972-HLCA's signal, and it was still pounding in at an S9+ level right
up until 1635. Overall, the ocean beach session was just what the doctor
ordered-- for a land-locked DXer seriously bored by mediocre inland TP
propagation. I wish that all the other inland TP-DXers could have been along
for the wild ride-- especially the ones far inland (who patiently dig out weak
TP audio in places like Oklahoma and Alberta).

(Stations which pegged the PL-380 S/N during the MP3 recording are marked with
a double asterisk **)

603  HLSA   Namyang, S. Korea   Pounding disco music at  1321; totally dominant
over a weak 603-China this morning
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/a2jl275zbgcpvir/603-HLSA-1321z110814PL380.MP3

657  Pyongyang BS   Pyongyang, N. Korea   Angry Korean tirade woman at
irritating level around 1333
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/10cn306geba1m9p/657-Pyongyang-1333z110814PL380.MP3

1035  CNR1   China Synchros   Multiple Chinese stations poorly synchronized,
resulting in echo chamber effect during YL speech at 1401
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d3aa5mcd3sh3usd/1035-CNR1-echo-1401z110814PL380.MP3

**1044  KBS   (Samcheok, S. Korea) + CRI  (Changzhou, China)   The 10 kW Korean
station fights it out with the 600 kW Chinese station in a wild S9+ snarl,
holding its own temporarily at 1254 with Korean male speech over CRI's music
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/d7txapvgj3krm7p/1044-KBS-CRImix-1254z110814PL380.MP3

**1044  CRI   (Changzhou, China) + KBS  (Samcheok, S. Korea)    CRI's 600 kW
Japanese service finally dispatches the 10 kW Korean station at 1355, finishing
up with an S9+ level Japanese signal pegging the PL-380 S/N display
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/vfjfa7o5r73c78q/1044-CRI-KBSmix-1355z110814PL380.MP3

**1134  JOQR   (Tokyo, Japan) + KBS   (Hwaseong, S. Korea   Another wild
fight-- the Japanese commercial station's giggly program holds the edge over
the 500 kW Korean with an S/N pegging signal
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/nbj5yk5qfmaiz6n/1134-JOQR-KBSmix-1355z110814PL380.MP3

**1206  CRI   Yanbian, China   CRI's Korean service at an awesome level after a
sunrise enhancement boost around 1527
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/tf7mubya6ronn1z/1206-CRI-1527z110814PL380.MP3

1323  CRI   Huadian, China   CRI's Russian service at an excellent level while
still in total darkness around 1250
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/22fbs4cpbcv3pjf/1323-CRI-1250z110814PL380.MP3

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing at Grayland, WA)