--- Begin Message ---
These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also
VHF/UHF, sometimes utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without
much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many other individuals and
publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open
access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page39

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal
antenna only; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside or randomwire; Nissan stock caradio
as specified; FRG-7 with E-W longwire as specified

** MEXICO. 640, Oct 14 at 1220, PSAs including one from Ciudad Juárez, and
federal Cámara de Diputados y Diputadas --- seems now officially acknowledging
that women participate, at least secondarily. Shorthand could be:
``Diputad@s``. 1221 ``B-M Noticias 640``, i.e. XEJUA Juárez, separable from OK,
and atop anything from KFI, perhaps the SAH source (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 680, Oct 14 at 1222, mentions Festival Cultural de Sinaloa, ad
mentioning Sinaloa Poniente (western, i.e. the sundown-side); 1223 UT TC for
6:24 and regresa, back to live `Noticiero de Sinaloa`, i.e. XEORO, Guasave,
1000/500 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 702, Oct 13 at 0548 UT, the only carrier I can detect on a TA
frequency is here. Loops ENE/WSW. So what`s possible per WRTH from W Europe or
NW Africa? 25 kW from Algeria, Nigeria? 200 kW from France? (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. TP carrier search Oct 14 at 1207-1211: JBA on 702, 774 both
looping west rather than NW so suspect Australia. Nothing else up to 1000
except for 945 and 954, the latter vs heavy splash from local 960 KGWA so can`t
get a DF. Nothing out of Pacific or Asia stands out on these from WRTH
listings. Today`s Enid sunrise: 1238 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 702, Oct 15 at 0610 UT, JBA carrier, also at 0624, loops
east/west, which points to NZ rather than Eurafrica? No other 9-kHz carriers
found, not even 738 Tahiti which the west-coasters are getting even much
earlier than this (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

A reminder of how *early* 738 can make it to N America --- remember that Tahiti
is in the same timezone as Hawaii, UT -10. Papeete sunset was 17:58* local,
i.e. 0358 UT. At 18 degrees south, it varies less than an hour over the year,
but will get as late as 0439 UT in a trimonth, per gaisma.com

So when I get a 702 kHz carrier at 0548 as I did Oct 13, could it be from west
rather than east? It`s still 2+ hours before 0808 UT sunset upon 50 kW in
Sydney, tho there are a couple of low-power NZers on 702; sun sets at 0637 UT
upon a 10 kW station in Auckland (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Therefore last week`s item could have been Tahiti:
UNIDENTIFIED. 738, Oct 7 at 0541 UT, the only JBA TA carrier I find is here,
very likely the 600 kW RNE Barcelona, Spain. Checking a bit earlier than last
night when I was getting several others (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 774, Oct 12 at 1225 UT, JBA carrier loops W/E, not NW/SE. It`s
the first frequency I check for TP DX when I awaken before sunrise, and often
get trace of NHK, but today it must be Australia, 3LO Melbourne, and the only
other one I can find is on 702, also from west, i.e. 2BL Sydney, both only 50
kW for ABC Local Radio. Nothing audible in the 1500s, such as 1548 Emerald.
Today`s Enid sunrise: 1236 UT, latening by 6 or 7 minutes per week (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Still hearing nothing on 800 from XEROK, so I search out its
website, which is
http://calibre800.com/
the alternate branding of Radio Cañón, alluding to CAnal LIBRE  = clear
channel. This leads to live stream:
http://www.gruposiete.com.mx/radio-canon/
which in fact is funxioning. And the website looks completely normal and
current with lots of news linx, nothing found about it being off the air from
800, nor anything about a new FM frequency.

At 1514 UT Oct 13, taking phone calls on the air (poorly audible) even from El
Paso and the studio is rather echoey, hardly professional. Get out the egg
cartons! Generally lo-fi modulation. Seems to be about medical advice. Closes
at 1525, ID including ``Desde la Frontera, 800 AM, Radio Cañón -– Colonia El
Hipódromo -- Grupo Siete`` and over to string of ads/PSAs including Chihuahua
state government. 1530 another R. Cañón ID, with rock in Spanish, ``Los Buenos
Tiempos` is show now. Again DJ in studio with echo, also discusses salud; 1540
``Old Fashioned Love Song`` in English by Three Dog Night.

So the question remains, is XEROK really on the 800 air and audible at least in
the El Paso area, if not into NM and OK, day and/or night? Perhaps with much
less than 50 kW (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1795, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 980, Oct 13 at 1236 UT, Spanish report on oil prices, IMER Radio ID,
and `Antena Radio` news program. I check 1570 for // XERF, but not audible.
1237 local ID for 980 AM, 103.1 FM, ``más música``. 1239 fuller ID for ``La
FQ``, 980 XEFQ, FM 103.1 XHFQ, Cananea, Sonora, full address, ``una emisora del
Instituto Mexicano de la Radio``. IRCA and Cantú show 2500/500 watts, but no
FM, while WRTH also lists 103.1. Fadeout shortly later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX
LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 990, Oct 12 at 1240 UT, song in Spanish, 1242 UT interjects one
word, ``Lozana``, or something similar before another song. I was expecting
``Rockola`` from XECL Mexicali as also logged recently and this too loops
roughly east/west. Could have been artist/music name rather than station name.

Nothing in the three XE references. Could be a US station: there are several SS
listed, the most likely at this time and direxion being KTKT Tucson, except
it`s ESPN Deportes. WSGO New Orleans keeps coming up in searches but it`s talk
in English. There is also a small town at the southern tip of TX called Lozano
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1030, Oct 14 at 1231, from WSW, promos for R. Fórmula, Grupo
Fórmula, so must be XEYC Ciudad Juárez. IRCA shows power 1000/1000; Cantú and
WRTH, 5000/500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. Re 1521 TA carriers: BAHAMAS. OCT 4 1000 - ZNS1, Nassau, 1540,
Believed to be the source of open carrier spurs at 1521 and 1559 (+/-19 kHz)
producing hets against 1520 WWKB and 1560 WFME. Thanks to Chris Smolinski and
Brett Saylor who helped solve the 1521 and 1559 mystery (Bruce Conti, WPC1CAT,
Nashua NH; WiNRADiO Excalibur, MWDX-5 phasing unit, 15 x 23-m variable
termination SuperLoop antennas at 60° northeast and 180° south, NRC IDXD via
WORLD OF RADIO 1795, DXLD)

Hi Bruce, Your 1521 spur from ZNS certainly caught my eye. Of course we would
not be getting Saudi at 10 UT, but I`ll have to be careful when I am assuming
that in the evening. So far I believe I`ve had DF from NE rather than SE (and
never noticed any 1559). I have also made sure it`s on exactly 1521.0
(1521.00?), so I wonder how close to 1521 the ZNS spur is? Or was? I wonder if
19 kHz spurs have anything to do with FM subcarrier mixing at site? (Glenn to
Bruce, ibid.)

** MEXICO [and non]. 1570, UT Monday Oct 12 at 0305, XERF with `La Hora
Nacional` --- weekly federal government show mandatory(?) for all stations to
carry. I am seldom monitoring at this hour, so take the opportunity to chase
`LHN` across the dial.

As to be expected, XERF is best, but still can`t eliminate the QRM from US
stations, notably the one in Missouri, 3 kW KBCV Bott gospel-huxter, Hollister
(Springfield). Considering the gobs of Mexican MW stations I do DX, it`s rather
strange that so few can be heard now, and not even La Poderosa enough to be
QRM-free.

1050, XEG Monterrey NL should be #2, but it too suffers from a lot of QRM. At
0313 it does seem to be in LHN, while taking phone calls from fans, but far
from synchronized with XERF. At 0307 some US station in English is atop XEG
with fight-the-IRS ad.

990, XET Monterrey, sometimes heard well, must really be direxional south
tonight, ceding to CBW. Other major stations are useless: 1220 XEB, 1140 XEMR,
940 XEQ, 900 XEW, 800 XEROK (kaput?), 730 XEX; 540 XEWA maybe has it, but again
not synch with XERF. Also try 690, 620, 580 with nothing listenable.

6185, Oct 12 at 0318, XEPPM, Mexico`s only remaining SW station, must surely be
carrying `La Hora Nacional` --- but NOT, totally different music playing than
on 1570!

I`m about to conclude `LHN` is not really mandatory; and instead of all
stations in nation linking up to a single feed, each has its own download to
play back out of synch, if at all --- maybe not even same episode (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CUBA. [1620 and:] 670, Oct 10 at 0020, R. Rebelde bigsig overcoming WSCR
with un partido tonto de pelotas (silly ballgame = PTP/SBG), immediately //able
but with slight echo to 5025.

So I then check 1620, also dominated by Spanish and as expected it`s not // but
immediately mentions ``FM Rebelde`` which is customarily what happens to this
transmitter when the main frequencies air a PTP. We always assume this is the
closest 5 kW Guanabacoa CH transmitter tho a couple of further Rebeldes are
listed on 1620 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** HAWAII. 2863-USB, Oct 12 at 1233 UT, VOLMET with American accent, barely
audible. No doubt it`s Honolulu as scheduled per EiBi at :25 and :55 past the
hours, shared only with Tokyo at :40 and :10; 24 hours. 2850-AM Korea North
also audible (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---