From: IRCA <irca-boun...@hard-core-dx.com> on behalf of Nicholas Hall-Patch
<n...@ieee.org>
Sent: Friday, December 22, 2017 3:05:01 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] DX Fishbarrel

Aren't we still quite a way from minimum Walt?     I think 2008 and 2009
were our minimum years last time, and even if the cycle is a normal one ,
that's still a couple of years to go to the minimum of this one.    Because
it's been such an unusual cycle anyway (low maximum, which can mean a
longer period to the minimum), it's hard to say.

We're being foozled too by the second maximum of the cycle it seems, which
shows the highest Ap conditions of the entire cycle right now (
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/space-weather-enthusiasts) despite
sunspot numbers declining , so conditions have actually deteriorated from
that wonderful early fall of 2014 when we heard TA's in late August,
followed by poorer conditions in early October and beyond. And this year
does also seem poorer for high latitude paths than even last year's.

A roundabout way of saying all bets are off with this anomalously low level
solar cycle;  maybe 2014 was our best time for high latitude this cycle
judging by the lowest Ap conditions

best wishes,

Nick