I don't know Gary. That was a pretty strong reception of HLCA by Victoria standards. I recall that you heard Asians pretty well when you listened regularly for them, and that you usually heard Chinese and Koreans better than I hear them in Victoria. There's this big block of stone called Vancouver Island that might just attenuate the signal on its final approach to my antenna. Puget Sound may be preferable,hi.

best wishes,

Nick

At 01:22 2018-02-10, Gary DeBock wrote:
Hi Guys,

During antenna testing this morning I had an unattended 8" FSL set up to record 972-HLCA throughout the sunrise period, and it came up with some fairly strong Korean female vocal music at 1512 UTC. I don't know what the signal was like in Victoria, but this mediocre location sometimes does seem to have an edge in Korean reception (although lackluster in comparison for practically everything else) https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/4m87h55kekjo5geep9rk7nd08bv5l6a3

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

> On February 9, 2018 at 9:09 AM Nick Hall-Patch <n...@ieee.org> wrote:
>

> There seemed to be a boost around 1520UT for about 10 or 15 minutes,
> and there was mostly quite sharp changes in signal strength; very erratic.
>
> Full report later.
>

> At 16:41 2018-02-09, R. Colin Newell wrote:
> >Hall-Patch fish barrel lit up at 1500 UTC.
> >
> >I got out of the shower at 1515 and took a look -
> >
> >The NRD525 revealed quite a few audio and lots of hets upper band.
> >As Nick has suggested, a KAZ antenna will be better than an end-fed Ham
> >80-10 non directional.
> >
> >Audio: 774, 1566, 1575
> >
> >Great carriers - 891, 1323... and likely more.
> >
> >And I always have more VACTROL sets to test!
> >
> >Receiver NRC - NRD525
> >Antenna - 80-10 End-fed.
> >

> >--
> >Colin Newell - Editor and creator *of *Coffeecrew.com
> ><http://www.Coffeecrew.com> and DXer.ca <http://www.DXer.ca> -
> >VA7WWV | Twitter @CoffeeCrew | Victoria - Canada
> >original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of
> >the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> >
> >For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org

> Nick Hall-Patch
> Victoria, BC
> Canada