Lawrence:
  Your question has two answers.

1) IronPython will run pip. You need to use a longer command line to
prevent PIP from crashing when it calls _getframe. (I thought that PIP had
been patched to prevent that, but I can't find the reference anymore.)
Please refer to the instructions at
http://blog.ironpython.net/2014/12/pip-in-ironpython-275.html

2) Numpy will not run on IronPython.  There has been a good deal of
discussion on this mail list about how to fix that. Helpers would be
welcome.