See replies inline:

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 1:51 PM Mukul Sabharwal <mjsa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Sort of a lurking IronPython user, but I wanted to reach out to the
> community on some work I've been wanting to do for a while now -
> getting IronPython 2.7.X to run on .NET Core.

This is something we discussed in the Community Meeting today on Gitter.
slozier is looking into this as well, so please coordinate so there is no
duplicated effort.

> I've done preliminary analysis of IronPython and its dependencies
> (excluding the AspNet and WPF stuff) and I believe getting 2.7.X to
> run on .NET Core wouldn't be an astronomical amount of work.
>
> The major themes of the issues are:
>
> (1) Project Setup
> (2) FEATURE_REMOTING
> (3) FEATURE_WPF
> (4) Debugging
>
> == Project Setup
>
> Today .NET Core supports a couple of different ways to setup projects,
> the traditional csproj and an xproj setup. The tooling from Visual
> Studio is integrated well for xproj, but the direction .NET Core is
> moving in is to use csproj hence forth. So, in my mind using csproj
> makes complete sense, and while the documentation is a bit sparse we
> could setup csproj today to make .NET Core projects

We discussed this in the community meeting today and determined that we
will look at the xproj/project.json for now and once csproj support is
updated, we will using the conversion tool to convert to that.

> == FEATURE_REMOTING
>
> This feature is not provided the cross-platform CoreCLR runtime, so
> .NET Core support will invariably not be able to have this.

That's fine, people won't want to use remoting if it doesn't exist on the
platform anyway, so leaving this out is fine.

> == FEATURE_WPF
>
> APIs around WPF are not available on .NET Core. I haven't dug deep as
> to what IronPython.WPF really does but suffice to say it won't be part
> of the .NET Core build either.

Same goes for this, we don't ship stuff for .NET Core that isn't supported
by .NET Core.

> == Debugging
>
> This one maybe tricky to resolve just yet. The problem is that the
> support for debugging runtime generated code is supplied by the CLR,
> and is somewhat linked to the native debug format on Windows (PDB).
> There maybe some challenges here around saving assemblies as well, but
> it's possible to maneuver this space later on.
>
> I'm not familiar with IronPython 3's development status, hence I'm
> leaving that out specifically from my work, but I suspect it would be
> similar work to get it ready.
>
> And finally, if there are other interested members who are also
> interested in helping out or doing more here please let me know.
>
> P.S. - I'm not very familiar with IronPython's rules of engagement,
> i.e  if mailing list is better or the GitHub pages, etc. So feel free
> to point me in a certain direction.

Mailing list is good.