On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, Lars Noschinski wrote:

I just noticed (Isabelle rev. 30624dab6054) that "by" allows finishes a proof (even if the proof is faulty), while ".." only finishes a proof if it can actually prove the goal.

Is this intended behaviour or just an oversight?

It is a consequence of 'by' being forked and '..' not. This affects the way errors are propagated.

I would like to refine error reporting and recovery from errors at some point, such that the nesting structure of proofs are fully observed, independently of the accidental forks.

        Makarius